Hey Locavores! It’s that time of year again, when the wonderful folks at Riverdance Farms, host their annual “Pick and Gather”, it’s always a wonderful time rain or shine!
Posts Tagged ‘local’
Posted in agriculture, FARM VISITS, local events, Local farms, local organic, Riverdance Farms, Riverdance Pick & Gather, San Joaquin Valley, Uncategorized, tagged Community Supported Agriculture, CSA, Events, local, Local Choices, Local farms, local harvest, Localchoices, pick & gather, pick and gather, Riverdance Farms, San Joaquin Valley on May 1, 2012 | Leave a Comment »
Posted in earth day, earth day event, Uncategorized, tagged activism, April 22nd, Carson, celebrate earth, earth, earth day, Earth Day events in the central valley, environmental, Gardening, gaylord nelson, gratitude, local, nelson, Rachel Carson, recycling, silent spring, stewardship on April 22, 2012 | Leave a Comment »
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children.
— Native American Proverb
Inspired by the free-spirited activism of the 1970’s, Gaylord Nelson and a few dedicated individuals, set out to remind us how precious and fragile are the resources we’ve been given.
The first Earth Day was the culmination of growing environmental concerns, and the efforts of those determined to make a difference. Principles still relevant today. We have been given the wonderful gift of the earth, and with that, comes the responsibility of stewardship. How often have we forgotten the meaning of that word!
Merriam Webster’s defines Stewardship as: “The conducting, supervising, or managing of something; especially : the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one’s care”.
Wikipedia explains: “An ethic that embodies responsible planning and management of resources. The concept of stewardship has been applied in diverse realms, including with respect to environment, economics, health, property, information, and religion, and is linked to the concept of sustainability.”
In short, the earth and all it’s bounty, was given to each of us. To care for, love, and celebrate. It’s easy to feel like you can’t make a difference, but the tiniest effort matters! There are so many things we can all do to help….
Composting, recycling, shopping locally, having your own garden (even if it’s a pot on your porch or balcony), choosing to walk or ride a bike rather than drive, cutting back on the water or electricity you use, switching to natural cleaners; it all adds up to a smaller carbon footprint and taking better care of our home.
As you celebrate April 22nd, we’d like to hear from you….
How do you show Mother Earth some love?
“Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught
will we realize we cannot eat money.”
-Cree Indian Proverb
Posted in agriculture, bees, central valley, environmental organizations, farmers market, Local Farming, Local farms, local foods, merced, Organic Farming, San Joaquin Valley, sustainable farming, turlock, tagged agriculture, California Certified Organic Farmer, California organic Farmers, central valley, Events, farming, Food, local, Local farms, local organic farmers, local organic farms, Localchoices, organic farmers, Organic Farming, Organic Gardening, San Joaquin Valley, sustainable farming, turlock on August 26, 2009 | Leave a Comment »
Well, life has been busy here at Local Choices and consequently it has put me behind on my local favorite finds, so I’m catching up by putting together a not so short blip of all I wanted to share with you!
Make sure to right click on the photos to see more and remember…be a locavore & support local!
- Local Choices on Facebook… for quick updates on what’s going on here in the Central Valley don’t be left in the dark, get yourself a facebook page, become our fan and connect with others!
- Pure Valley Honey Bees… Frankie and Evelyn by far have the yummiest honey products I have ever tasted! This bee team comes from Le Grande and can be found at Merced, Mariposa and Los Banos Farmers Markets. Visit their website to see what they have & what they are up to!
- Xiong & Silva Farms…. a while back I discovered this small corner produce stand in Turlock on Tully & Canal, it is family farmed and diversified with fruits and vegetables, the selection was abundant and super fresh!
|Pure Valley honey Bees|
|Xiong ~ Silva Farms|
- Green Leaf BBQ Shop & Catering…. is a new BBQ Shop located in Village Market Corner on Canal St. in Turlock. Owners Tim & Carrie take pride in offering unique bbq’n supplies that are earth friendly, from Treager bbq’s to wine infused wood chunks for a sweet smoked flavor. Need good quick advice on your techniques check out Tims blog & facebook for fun facts!
|Green Leaf BBQ Shop|
- Pageo Farms…. from the road you can see the rows of sweet beautiful lavender but when you drive in there is a whole lot more going on. This charming Turlock farm has a stand with organic fruits & veggies, a large variety of peppers & tomatoes grown by Josh, bath salts, lavender lemonade, lavender cookies and what ever treats they feel like baking up for the day. In the back a courtyard surrounded by lush greenery, renovated barns and silo make for a perfect wedding or party setting. Look for them on 11573 Golf Link Rd. Become their friend on facebook for updates!
- Merced Shares…. all I can say is genious, a group of urban women who love to grow their own foods found they had so much extra they decided to create a “food exchange”, they get together and bring what ever they have left over from their harvest, divide it up and everyone is happy! Learn more about these progressive backyard farmers on their blog!
- Heifer International & UC Cooperative Extension… these two organizations have collaborated to help promote and support community and school gardens teaching organic sustainable agriculture here in the Central Valley. A valuable quest that needs community involvement, want to volunteer? Check out the learning farm in Ceres.
|Heifer International & U C Cooperative Extension School Communituy Garden Seminar|
- Cynthia Flesher’s Pink Papaya Spa Parties….Inner Balance and Outer Beauty is her mantra, she is a Certified Massage Therapist in Turlock offering home spa parties with her luscious Pink Papaya skin & body line loaded with 100% pure essential oils. Treat yourself and friends to an “all about me time” and book a party!
|Theraputic Body Works by Cynthia Flesher|
Check back again for my next Central Valley updates!
Posted in agriculture, california, central valley, Events, local events, Local Farming, Local farms, local foods, local organic, organic farmers, Organic Farming, San Joaquin Valley, sustainable farming, Uncategorized, tagged California Certified Organic Farmer, California organic Farmers, central valley, Community Supported Agriculture, Events, farms, kline organics, local, local event, local events, local foods, local organic farmers, Localchoices, Merced County, organic, organic farmers, Organic Farming, organic farms, Organic Food, Organic Vegetables, San Joaquin Valley, sustainable farming on August 15, 2009 | Leave a Comment »
another don’t miss!
Sunday ~ August 16th, 2009
4 ~ 7 pm
Tyson Hill Farm in Waterford
Go join the potluck with your favorite dish, table service, blanket and chairs. There will be sampling of over forty varieties of tomatoes, including heirlooms, old & new favorites and trail varieties!
Tyson Hill Farm is just west of Waterford city limits. From Hwy. 132 (Yosemite Blvd.) take Blossom Rd. south. The farm is about a mile down on the right, look for the signs!
For more information, contact:
The Tyson/Clark Family
The Kline Family
The Seifkin/Kerr Family
Posted in agriculture, california, central valley, environmental organizations, Events, local events, local farmers markets, Local Farming, local foods, local organic, modesto, news, Organic Vegetables, sustainable farming, tagged california cooperative extension, community gardens, Events, farming, heifer international, local, local events, local foods, local news, local organic farmers, local organic farms, modesto, Organic Farming, Organic Food, Organic Gardening, school gardens, sustainable farming on August 7, 2009 | Leave a Comment »
Young sustainable farmers in the making…
Thanks to Heifer International and University of California Cooperative Extension, who have partnered to help schools and communities start vegetable gardens, and with the collaboration among local non-profits a garden was grown and nurtured by local teens who have learned to farm organic seasonal produce and sell at the West Modesto Farmers Market!
Your are invited to tour this organic youth farm!
9 am ~ 2 pm
3906 Don Pedro Rd. Ceres
There will be…
- free seasonal farm grown lunch
- free seeds
- educational workshops & resources for teachers and the community
- fall & winter planting ideas
- land preparation education
- drip irrigation instrucion
Enjoy a day of learning, sharing and how to participate
in your local community and school gardens!
Please RSVP to
Anne Schellman ~ email@example.com ~
Posted in central valley, Events, farm policies, Food, health, healthy lifestyle, local events, Local Farming, local foods, local organic, local organic directory, Michael Pollan, natural farming, news, organic farmers, Organic Farming, organic food videos, polotics, sustainable farming, Uncategorized, tagged agriculture, California Certified Organic Farmer, community health, Community Supported Agriculture, Events, farming, farms, Food, green, local, local event, local events, local foods, local organic farmers, local organic farms, organic, Organic Farming, Organic Food, Organic Foods, Organic Gardening, sustainability, sustainable farming on August 1, 2009 | Leave a Comment »
This my locavores is a must see…..a good step in supporting local!
This is my second post about this documentary and after seeing it my emotional reaction confirmed the importance of my blog…to share what I feel is important with my community….good whole food & how to find it, I am one small effort to support local and this film is the reason why.
Mark your calendars & take a friend to the beautiful restored State Theater in Modesto. Food, Inc. is a powerful documentary that will affect the way you eat no doubt, or at least plant a seed in that direction.
The film runs August 14 – August 22…..if you see it, we want some feed back here!
Posted in agriculture, california, central valley, Events, Food, local organic, organic farmers, Organic Farming, sustainable farming, Uncategorized, tagged agriculture, central valley, community health, Events, Food, local, local event, local foods, local organic farmers, local organic farms, Localchoices, Organic Farming, Organic Foods, San Joaquin Valley on June 25, 2009 | 2 Comments »
Come join Local Choices at this unique farm event & taste our fresh squeezed sweet organic
“Hey Honey Lemonade!”
A celebration of Food, Farming & Healthy Living
Saturday ~ June 27, 2009
10:00 am ~ 4:00 pm
Double T Acres
22368 West 2nd Ave ~ Stevinson, Ca 95374
$5.00 per person ~ 12 & under free!